Self confidence is always the key in almost everything that we do. Yes, you are fully equipped with all the knowledge and skills that you might need for your current job but those brilliant ideas are not backed up with confidence, then the hiring manager will also be in doubt.
Going back in the workforce after being out for a while can be difficult but through the help of the following tips, you are sure that you are backed up with the most effective strategies to regain your self-esteem:
- Highlight small achievements. Promise yourself to improve on your skill in anything and then take action. Improvements, no matter how big or small they are can definitely help you jumpstart your confidence. We are not only talking about achievements related to work but also in your personal life.
For example exercising, knitting, cooking or even being able to speak to the public. These little achievements can help you boost your confidence real time.
- Volunteer. Participating in a volunteer act is perfect for people who just got laid off against their will. It can give you a boost of your morale and a sense of fulfillment just the same as what you will get from a paying job. Same deadlines, schedules and people depending on you. It also allows you to dedicate yourself to a deed that you are really passionate about.
- Update your knowledge. Working in an industry 5 years ago doesn’t give you an assurance that everything that you used to do and know during your stay there is still the same. Many industries have experienced rapid growth and change during those 5 years.
Keeping up on things casually is not enough. You need some refresher. You need to review and also update your materials so that you will be fully armed of everything that you should know.
- Take care of yourself. Taking care of yourself both the inside and outside can mean a lot in regaining your confidence. Stress, anxiety and depression can be encountered along the way so you better be prepared when you see them. Continuously looking and being declined by several companies can be very stressful and can lead to loss of self confidence.
Take breaks in between job hunting and try to devote a portion of your time in doing something you really love. By doing this, your spirit will be uplifted and will give you enough energy and courage to face more rejections and eventually land to the job you are really hoping for.
- Learn another language. We all know that English is the universal language. English is most of the time used for multinational corporations during interviews and in the production per se.
However, there are companies today that prefer to hire people who know how to speak the owners’ native language. Companies believe that by communicating through their native language, their culture and work ethics will be preserved and also the secrets and strategies will be kept safe by their employees. So, people who know other languages might have a bigger edge from those who don’t.