What comes to your mind when you hear “civil servant”?
Chances are, most people are interested in becoming an employee for the government. With a lifetime benefit such as a pension, people are looking to be hired by the government in droves. Not only a lifetime benefit, being a civil servant will add to a more comfortable life as it provides a good salary, secure jobs, and other perks.
Carole Moore survey agreed that working for government will be more advantageous. “You might be surprised to find out that government jobs when you include benefits, pay on average twice as much as jobs in private sector,” said Moore. In the United States, Moore explained, federal employees can earn an average salary for $67,000, while a private sector will give you $53,288. Additionally, if you include compensation and benefits, you can get an average annual salary up to $106,871.
Moreover, not only tantalizing salary, being a government employee will benefit you in terms of:
- Job security – Government almost never fire their employee due to low performance. Layoffs and firing commonly happen in private company, instead.
- Pension plan – Government cares for your personal and professional life. They will give you a good post-retirement benefit – and this benefit will make your life tension free.
- Medical benefits – Hospital bill can be worrying. However, when you are a government employee, you can get to enjoy decent medical cover for yourself as well as your family.
- Better work-life balance – With fixed working-hours government give and availability of decent amount of off-days you can get, you surely can balance your private and professional life.
Furthermore, albeit working in government company gives tantalizing perks, there are more rule and regulation to follow. So, if this is your first year working for the government, you better follow these bits of advice.
- Understand your terms of employment
Term of employment is important in any job, even for a private company. Yet, this is more important when you are working as a federal employee. For example, you should pay attention to whether you will have a probation period or not, how long if you are required for probation, what kind of performance will be reviewed, how you will be classified, where you will be paid, how you will be paid, how much, and whether there will be flexible work schedule or not. Other than these, you should also pay attention to restriction charged for new hires.
- Understand government rule and regulation, and how it works
Bureaucracy is real and they are quite strict with sanction and rules. So, rather than risking your life and a new job, you should pay attention to the first point. Additionally, you should read general rules and regulations in the company you work in. It will save your lifetime employability. For example, some company will require its candidates to work within a period of time. However, if you resign before the time, you will be fined and/or imprisoned.
- Keep on looking for opportunity and lesson to learn
Although you work in a secure environment and a stable salary that gives you pension fund when retire, you should keep looking for a new opportunity to achieve personal growth. For example, you can attend a seminar or course that can widen your skill and knowledge. This kind of improvement will help you face problems ahead, both at work and personal life. You will also be recognised and – who knows – you will be promoted early because you keep improving.
In addition, as hurdles can come in your way sooner or later, you need to be prepared for it. Equipping yourself with lesson and improvement is already goo. But you can also learn from your senior or elderly in your department. They are more experienced and usually are helpful.
Lastly, stay low profile and be humble to everyone.