The word appreciate is linked to being grateful or thankful for; to value or regard highly. At work, our colleagues play a vital role – being our motivator as well as a supporter to ensure our days at work run smoothly. They are the ones we turn to whenever we need help with a project. They help us in time of need and teach us how to be grateful in a working environment. If you are an intern and your supervisor is a very welcoming and helpful person, you might want to show gratitude to appreciate their help and guidance.
As you ponder over how to show appreciation to fellow colleagues, seniors, or boss, there are at least five practical ways as mentioned in The 5 Languages of Appreciation of the Workplace book.
- Words – simply thanking your colleague or writing a note is a very personal way of expressing your appreciation.
- Gift – a gift need not always be something expensive. It is the thought that counts. By getting your colleague a gift based on their likings or preferences, it shows how much you value them as a colleague.
- Time – your colleagues might just wish for someone to spend time with them or to lend them a listening ear. If so, give them your time to show appreciation.
- Acts – as a way of expressing your gratitude, you could assist your colleague in a project or work together with them to complete a task.
- Touch – you have to be careful with this. While some might abuse it, we want to do so appropriately. A pat on the back after a work well-done is a way to appreciate your colleague through touch.
Our colleagues are the ones around us at work every day. We do not want to take them for granted. Here is some gifts idea if you decide to buy your coworkers present to show appreciations:
- Amplify box – a beautifully packaged snack box that helps boost mood and motivation.
- An eco-friendly box – a highly functional gift that might delight your coworkers and helps reduce plastic pollution.
- A mug – a handy little gadget that your coworkers will love.
- Comfortable socks – especially if you live in cold areas.
- Indoor plants – it helps boost the view in your coworker’s desk, and probably their productivity.
- A candle that smells like their favourite state – regardless of intimacy level, a therapeutic candle helps brighten one’s mood.
- A game of miniature golf – it can help your workmate escape from the comfort of their desk.
- You can also prepare tools to keep your coworker’s electronic devices neat like handy charging, desk cable clips, portable battery, a charging stand, etc.
The idea for appreciation is endless. As long as you keep the relationship professional and show your feelings in the right manner, whatever you give, do, or say will be of your colleague’s delight.