The day has come! Graduation is your new beginning to achieve more purposes in life. It also marks an important period of transition from being a dependent college student to transforming into an independent working adult. What do you think about joining the workforce and becoming an adult is? Do you think it is scary? Fun? Or both?
Well, the good and bad experiences of turning into an adult could vary from one person to another, depending on how you want to live your life. One thing to notice, of course, the transition and growing up is not easy. You might have to face bigger and harder challenges as you walk along the road. You will also slip and find yourself in the middle of uncertainty. But don’t worry, here are 11 life lessons that can guide you towards the future.
1. Result matters but process matter most – You must understand that life is about growing and evolving. Therefore, continue learning, enjoy the process, and the result will follow.
2. Don’t chase career, chase your purpose – Career is a never-ending journey and it creates little value to your satisfaction, while purpose will give you what you want and what you need. It does give that feeling of happiness and satisfaction when you achieve it. It improves and betters your life. So, have a purpose, inherent it, and start building it.
3. Don’t wait for the better or perfect job – Listen, “there is no time that is as perfect as now”. If you just wait, you might need to bury your dream deep down in the ground, so own your time and act on it. Note: be mindful with your step towards your future career and life.
4. Do freelancing ASAP – After graduation, your financial life will be no longer your parents’ responsibility. The truth is, you should be financially independent starting from college. If you are not ready yet to work full-time, then freelancing is a good option. Read on how to freelance here.
5. Blacklist “excuses” from your dictionary – You know that the competition in the ‘real’ world is bigger and scarier than those in your university life. If you are being lazy, there is no chance to win.
6. Start saving and investing – Money comes and goes. You earn and you pay a bill. If you want to enjoy early retirement, do invest your money in something that creates value.
7. Enjoy youth – Well, you need to save money but don’t forget your own wellbeing. Once in a while, you should celebrate your life. And every day, do enjoy your life to the fullest.
8. Continue travel – “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
9. Never turn down an opportunity – World is highly competitive and second chance is rare. So, apply what Richard Branson advised us: “If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!”
10. Start earning trust – We are a social human being, be conscious about it because trust is the basis of all human relationships.
10. Be thankful everyday – The very last and important thing, you should be thankful with your life. Call your parents, say thanks. Call your brother/sister, say thanks. Call everyone you love, say thanks. And call yourself, say thanks. Being thankful is the simplest form of satisfaction and happiness.